The perfect warm comfort food for those cold, rainy, fall days!
This recipe comes to us from one of our all time favorite books – Tosca Reno’s EAT CLEAN DIET. The book is full of simple, clean, healthy hearty foods. It’s a good investement for your healthy lifestyle. Check it out at www.eatcleandiet.com.
Now on to the fun stuff!
YIELD: 8 servings
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 9 hours 5 minutes
Looking for an easy dinner? This thick, hearty slow-cooker chili recipe is delicious any time of the year! Using leaner cuts of poultry, such as turkey or chicken breast, reduces the fat content but delivers a taste sensation.
• 1 lb / 454 g dry great northern beans or white kidney beans, rinsed and picked over
• 4 cups / 950 ml low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 cups / 480 ml yellow onions, chopped
• 3 large cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tsp / 10 ml ground cumin
• 1 1/2 tsp / 7.5 ml dried oregano
• 1 tsp / 5 ml dried ground coriander
• 1/8 tsp / 0.625 ml ground cloves
• 1 x 4-oz can chopped green chilies
• 2 lbs / 907 g boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breast, grilled and cubed
• 1 tsp / 5 ml sea salt
- Place beans in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover beans by two inches. Bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 1 hour. Drain and rinse. Discard liquid.
- Place beans in a slow cooker. Add the chicken broth, onions, garlic and seasonings. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours or until beans are not quite tender. Add the chilies, chicken and sea salt. Cook for another hour until beans are tender.