It’s getting chilly! If you’re looking for some classic comfort food that won’t bust your belt, look no further.
This healthy beef stew recipe is sure to warm your belly on a cold November day. It’s easy enought to make, too!
From our ALL TIME favorite series – The Eat Clean Diet, by Tosca Reno. If you don’t have this book, we highly reccomend it. 🙂
Embrace the chilly weather with this slow-cooker recipe that is sure to warm you from the inside out. This recipe comes from Kitchen Table community member Tiffany. Here’s her tip: Use extra veggies since they cook down and may not seem like enough. I doubled this recipe so it fit perfectly into my large Crock-Pot and made enough for leftovers!
• 1 lb / 454 g extra lean stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
• ¼ lb / 113 g low-sodium turkey bacon
• 1 cup / 240 ml chopped onion
• 2 cups / 480 ml low-sodium beef broth
• 2 cups / 480 ml apple cider
• 1 lb / 454 g diced white potatoes
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
• 2 ribs celery, sliced
• 1½ cups / 360 ml diced rutabaga
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ tsp / 2.5 ml dried rosemary, crumbled
• ½ tsp / 2.5 ml freshly ground black pepper
• 1 Tbsp / 15 ml freshly chopped parsley or dried parsley flakes (optional)
• 2 Tbsp / 30 ml whole wheat flour
- Cook beef, turkey bacon and onions in a large skillet on medium heat until the beef is browned and bacon is cooked.
- Place in the slow cooker: beef, bacon, onions, broth, apple cider, potatoes, carrots, celery, rutabaga, bay leaf, rosemary, pepper and parsley, if using. Cover and cook 7-9 hours.
- Combine flour with 2 Tbsp / 30 ml cold water to form a smooth mixture. Stir into mixture in slow cooker and continue cooking for another 15 minutes. Serve.
Calories from Fat: 63
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Total Carbs: 48 g
Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 34 g
Sodium: 364 mg
Cholesterol: 86 mg